Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Magic Number: 77.5

What does that mean?  I passed my fitness test!

In almost nineteen years of service, I have never been confident that I'll pass.  Most years I can manage it--and some of it was easy because I was a triathloning skinny lieutenant--but I've had some pretty down moments.  Yesterday's was actually a re-test because I didn't pass 90 days ago.  Sure, I know I should be healthier.  Sure, I know I should go to the gym more.  Sure, I know that exercise is fun.  haaaaaaaaaa  Okay, I'm still trying to believe that one. 

There are plenty of professional consquences to being a chunk--you'd think that would be motivation enough to go to the gym.  But, instead I stress about it and almost cry as I slowly finish my mile and a half.  Get a visual on that one, it's sort of funny.

But, it's a new year and as I turn forty (seriously?)...I'm going to attempt to stay focused on being healthy.  My trainer who's a wonderful AF SNCO, has been a great help and motivation--he even ran with me yesterday and literally yelled at me when I whined that I wanted to walk.  In the last 90 days I lost nine pounds and two inches on my waist with his help.  Whoo hoo.  Plus, last weekend I got into size 12 jeans.  I almost cried. So, we'll see how it goes.

If you're not in the AF and wonder how you'd measure up, here's a link to the charts with the latest standards .
You've got:
 - One minute of push-ups
 - One minute of sit-ups
 - Your waist circumference
 - A mile and a half run.
And it's all based on your age group. 

Yes, if you look at the charts you'll see I only passed by two points, but that's still a pass and I'm happy...and two inches skinnier in my size 12 jeans.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you! It does get harder as we get wiser (read older)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAY TO GO!!!! I know how difficult it can be, was in the Army for almost 10 years, and I always hated the PT test and then the weigh in, the dreaded, hated weigh in. I know how hard it can be, SO WAY TO GO!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Jen! WHat a fab start to the new year. I turn 30 this year and I am determined that I will lose some of the weight that has crept on over the past few years. I'm very spurred on by your post! We can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good on ya, Jen! Nope I don't know personally what the AF standards are like but they can't be all that different from Army and I know a certain young man who has some similar challenges. Jen , you rock!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by...I would love to hear what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

My photo
Bedford, PA, United States
I'm a retiree/artist/student who makes things. It's a nice kind of lifestyle!

Total Pageviews