Sunday, April 1, 2012

Splashing Colors Instead of Studying

I was restricted to the apartment this weekend with the sole purpose of writing a five-page paper about international security for my continuing Air Force education.  Needless to say, I was less than enthused about the paper, so I found every avenue of escape from my responsibilities.  The most fun of these were my painting adventures. 
I haven't played with dyes and inks and water and paper since my big Art & Soul weekend, so I dug everything out and practiced some of the techniques I learned from Cathy Taylor.  The piece above is painted with India ink and then, when fully saturated, I put a big piece of wax paper into the moisture and then let it dry.  This is how it turned out:
Then, I did another piece with some swirled color and plastic wrap:

Here's an example of the plastic wrap treatment results:
I love the way it came out all wavy!  
I started playing more with the alcohol inks and Dye-na-Flow pigments to see what would happen with the blending and am tickled with how things just starting melting and blending and being awesome 
 I tried a variety of applications including dripping and splattering

 I got a big variety of effects that I couldn't have predicted



 This was "warm color" night from Friday.  I have cool colors to show off from Saturday night but will wait for another day for those!  I have to go finish that paper now.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh I remember those continuing ed things -- bleh! But I LOVE what you chose to do instead!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - those are fantastic!!! They are all great but I really like the last pic. Glad you had fun before you had to hit the paper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors and effects!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by...I would love to hear what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

My photo
Bedford, PA, United States
I'm a retiree/artist/student who makes things. It's a nice kind of lifestyle!

Total Pageviews