Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Amused!

This month's Art Bead Scene Challenge is focused on a folk art painting of Luna Park, an amusement park that thrived in the early 1900's on Coney Island in New York City.

Luna Park
Vestie Davis (1903-1978) New York :: Oil on Canvas, 16" x 20"
American Folk Art Museum, bequest Gloria Bley Miller 2008.5.16

Luna Park's designer, Frederick Thompson said:

"Buildings can laugh quite as loudly as human beings. A beautiful but excited sky-line is more important in an exposition than the correct demonstration of any man's recollection of the fine points of Sir Christopher Wren's handiwork!"

Mind you, I got this quote from a website about amusement park history, so I can't testify for its veracity, but I still love the spirit behind it! I think little jewelry structures can laugh on their own, too! It doesn't take the wisdom and skill of a seasoned goldsmith to create joy and amusement. Case in point....

This is my entry for the challenge and this is the first time I created my own art bead! I made the pendant using polymer clay in my take of primary colors--the basis for all good amusement park decor. I spent hours working with different combinations and shapes, much to the dismay of my crappy clay/pasta machine which finally gave out...that's a whole other story that involves a happy ending in the form of a new machine ordered on Amazon. haaaaaaaaa

I hope you can share in my laughter over this piece that's ringing in the feeling of amusement parks, popcorn, lollipops, and the all-American summer experience. :)

Jen

6 comments:

  1. That is so lively Jen! I love that you made your focal bead. The colors just scream fun to me. Thanks for sharing, and for giving me a kick in the butt to quit looking at the painting and start making something! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabu, Jen! I don't know which I want more...to eat it or take a ride on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Jenn! This is so vibrant, so exciting, just plain cool! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is FABULOUS, Jen!! I love it. You did a really fantastic job interpreting joy & amusement in your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, ladies! I have some more of these fun pendants (and some other random variations that I ended up with in the clay crafting process) so I want to finish them up nicely and will let you know when I can put them up for sale! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your bead! I am still working on my entry to the ABS challenge. Thank you for stopping by my blog. See you tomorrow at the party!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by...I would love to hear what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

My photo
Bedford, PA, United States
I'm a retiree/artist/student who makes things. It's a nice kind of lifestyle!

Total Pageviews