Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Vi's Christmas Dream: A Glass House

And not just any glass house, a hand-crafted glass gingerbread house!  Just look at this piece...every detail is glass, all fused together, bit by bit, to create this fun and festive spin on a tradition.
Glass artist Vi Laux, from Pittsburgh, PA, was an exhibitor in my hometown back in October at the Fall Foliage Festival.  I've often admired her fused glass work, but was completely in awe of this special piece.  I've been meaning to post about it for ages, and am finally making time this morning!!
For those of you not familiar with glass work, this is kinda amazing...each piece of glass has to be cut and then placed and then heated in a kiln until it all melts together.  All of this while hoping that nothing breaks.  And that's simplifying it a lot!
 A happy snow man and lots of sweets!!
***Update on 21 Dec 11:  This piece is still available in the Gallery at the Bedford County Arts Council until 23 Dec 11!***


Vi's work is also carried in several other galleries
~ Beads2Wear, McMurray, PA
~ Tari's Cafe & Inn, Berkeley Springs, WV

 Happy, happy Christmas week!  

11 comments:

  1. Yeah, my kids have serious gingerbread house envy now! :) What a stunning piece of work. Thanks so much for sharing it dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing! I really thought it was gingerbread until I started to read your post.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. I have done kiln work so I indeed know how incredible this is. Can't wait to show it to people at work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing work. The details in the ginger bread house are incredible. I too have done a little kiln work and am just a week bit ( a lot)in awe of the skill and artistry in this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having tried my hand at glass fusing I have to say, this piece is amazing! I can't even imagine cutting all those tiny pieces! What a great piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's just amazing. I'd love to see it in person. I'm in awe of the work! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that's so adorable, Im feeling very hungry now though

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh.My.God. I thought this was a real gingerbread house at first. It's so beautiful!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this is just sooo amazing and beautiful!!!
    And the gingerbread guy how sweet lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WHOOAAAW!! that is one great work and im sure the kids would love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by...I would love to hear what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

My photo
Bedford, PA, United States
I'm a retiree/artist/student who makes things. It's a nice kind of lifestyle!

Total Pageviews