Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Big Bead Move...

I'm happily ensconced in a cute little house in Montgomery, Alabama. But, that happiness is fleeting as I continue to see piles and boxes and cardboard and tape and stuff! How do I fight the stress of unpacking and organizing? Napping!! haaaaaaaaaa I wish I was the wonderful superwoman who has energy to burn and made it through the piles quickly and efficiently, but every time I try to walk I either step on something or run into a piece of my history.
Today I vowed to buckle down. I set the alarm for early in the morning, went to the gym, and came home with a list of things to do...and I did some of them! Whooo hooo! Oh, I took a short nap, but that's part of vacation, right?

So, I want to write today about the moving of a bead crafter's jewelry life--it's an amazing challenge! I didn't let the movers pack any of my beading supplies or workspace because I couldn't give it up for three weeks. So, that meant that I had to move it all into Curt's house for the transition. Apparently, since he decided I'm worth marrying, the bead drama in his dining room didn't bother him too much.

Funny enough, one of my fave artists, Heather Powers, is also working on some decluttering projects of her own in her workshop. She published a great post this morning with all sorts of tips. Click on this to check out her workshop work: Humblebeads. The "random piles" of stuff give me hope that eventually all my random piles will find their places!! Thanks for sharing, Heather!!

I want to share some tips that I either found from other artists or learned the hard way through massive packing:

- I love plastic containers! Those Ziploc (or whatever brand) containers are not all that expensive (and there are coupons for them all the time in Sunday's paper) and they are great for small groups of items. Of course, they look wonderful all stacked in these big Rubbermaid containers, too. It took a while to actually sort everything out, but now I feel like everything really has its own little place! I put my little messes of random stuff in a container and suddenly I just feel better! haaaaaaaaaa



- Sending a shout out to Collectors Cabinets because my rolling cabinets are fantastic!!! I have the drawers devoted to colors and the beads are sorted into the little screw-together stackable round storage containers. I separate them all into these great big drawers. But, why is this cabinet so wonderful? Because, with the addition of some bubble wrap sheets and then some carefully applied (ha!) shrinkwrap, each drawer held my bead stash wonderfully in place during the move! And, the whole cabinet, while a little bit heavy, was easy to move all in one piece. **Note, if you click on the link to Collectors Cabinets you'll see that their business is for sale...if you know anyone who might be interested, pass this opportunity on!

- Back to shrink-wrap...how wonderful is this stuff?! You can cover stuff up and it'll stay all together...the little tidbits in little drawers all stayed where they were supposed to! Many thanks to my friend, Michele, who helped me wrap all these babies. It was definitely a two-person job! But, talk about a reasonable solution; it would have taken me hours to resort stuff had I not taken the prep time seriously!

So, I've got to get back to unpacking my little corner of bead paradise. I'm going to laugh through Heather's workshop tour again...just because it makes me feel better to know that I'm not alone in my personal chaos!!

3 comments:

  1. ha, I remember the days of apartment living - the beads were always the last packed and first unpacked. Mere hours out of my sight.

    A clean slate, that should be fun.

    Do like my momma told me, just start on one corner and work your way around the room. It will get done eventually. (well, that's the theory.

    Love those collectors cabinets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really doesn't look that bad compared to some nightmares I've seen (mine)! Thankd for sharing info on those cabinets, might have to order one.

    Much happiness in your new life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh, I can't believe you have left the Virginia area. I will miss you. I hope you are happy in Alabama. They say home is where you hang your hat, I say home is where your tools and beading supplies are.
    Jeanette

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by...I would love to hear what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

My photo
Bedford, PA, United States
I'm a retiree/artist/student who makes things. It's a nice kind of lifestyle!

Total Pageviews